Sunday, November 7, 2010

Blue Moon Kitchen... or the Animal Hospital

What a day! When the kids and I went out to feed the ducks this morning, we noticed that Gretchen was unable to walk. After inspecting her, we couldn't find the reason for her disability. She's just unable to walk. Her little webbed feet push on my arm when I hold her and there are no signs of a raccoon attack. Needless to say I'm driven crazy with worry. So into the kitchen, ummm, I mean to our Animal Hospital she goes. She's been eating really well and drinking and quacking up a storm, but no solo traveling for our beloved Gretchen yet.
Sharing her space is an unlikely roommate. D.O.G. came to us yesterday. D.O.G. (name soon to be changed to DaVinci) is a 150lb Newfoundland/Burmese Mountain dog mix. He came covered in dreaded mats. In some areas the mats were 9 inches thick. He sat still for over 4 hours yesterday as I carefully cut the majority of them off of him. Near his rear the mats were so thick that he was unable to move his tail completely as his tail was matted to his bottom. Despite this painful condition, he's been nothing but a complete gentleman and wonderful companion. I am just stunned that he'd let me, a complete stranger, handle and groom him with the utmost patience. He's really a peaceful soul. Although he's spent most every night of his life outside, this evening he hung out with me while I made dinner and administered to Gretchen. He spent the time as pictured here, at my feet. He eventually got comfortable enough to stay still and let me walk around him, instead of him trying to follow me everywhere. He's so big that when he ambled around the kitchen, his wagging tail knocked down a glass on the counter and caused the bowl of apples to wobble dangerously on the table. Can't wait to see what this next week brings!

No comments:

Post a Comment