Monday, May 17, 2010

Quick compost tea and egg shell fertilizer

Some of my flowering plants needed a little boost of fertilizer and since I just started my worm bin, the most traditional way to make compost tea, and am at this point unable to harvest any worm castings or compost tea, I decided to try to make some tea using a different method. I froze some water in the bottom of a medium sized can and then, when completely frozen, I was able to put some holes in the bottom of the can with a nail and my favorite hammer.
Once the water in the can un-thawed, I filled it with fresh goat pellets, or poop, and placed it above a larger can. After spraying some fresh water into the poo can and letting it sit in the sun all day, I had some pretty awesome compost tea. Since it's super concentrated, I mixed it 10 to 1 with water. Easy, free and made by mother nature!

Did you know that ferns were once super abundant all of the world in dinosaur times? I decided to make a few of my ferns a special treat. Ferns love calcium and egg shells are 90% calcium carbonate. So I crushed 5 or 6 shells in a pitcher, filled with water and let sit for 24 hours. Then watered. Such happy ferns!

Egg shells, as most of us already know, are a great pesticide. They're also a great way to prevent root rot in a lot of plants.


No comments:

Post a Comment