Monday, April 19, 2010

New Wiggly Friends

We've just begun our worm journey! Nik picked us up 1 1/2 lbs. of worms the other day from Naomi's. Happy and healthy in their new worm bin, snuggled between the compost bucket, recycle bucket and chicken food bin. This is my favorite part of the kitchen. Between these four buckets and bins, very little goes into the Bad Bin, i.e. the garbage can.
Before I fell in love with goats or chickens or even fruit trees, I was in love with worms. As a child my Grandpa would ask me to go out into the yard and find him some fat, juicy earthworms to deposit into his Worm Box. Larger then my new bin and not kept in his kitchen, Grandpa's worm box supplied his fishing ventures and cured my summer time boredom. When he felt I had collected a sufficient supply, he'd reward my grubby fingers with an early morning fishing trip; out past Estacada up on the Clackamas river. We'd leave home before the sun would poke it's head above the horizon and often enjoy the sunrise from one of two favorite breakfast joints in Estacada. By 7:30 we'd be on the trail, traversing most often difficult terrain in order to reach just the perfect pool. Where tired fish had found their respite and an old man and a young girl would, with any luck, catch their dinner. Needless to say, I love these slimy, wiggling, producers of good earth! I've been anxiously anticipating the creation of this worm bin and finally, it's here!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I had meant to ask you about this today and I forgot! We just got a worm bin, but haven't set it up yet. I'd love to hear any tips you have :)

    ReplyDelete